Sunday, September 11, 2011

9-11 10 years later

Astral Travels thorough sound and space:


I'm so removed from POP culture, thanks to my 14 year old sis Jadey, I've heard this once or twice, lyrics of radio songs keep sharing the messages
[B.O.B. featuring Haley Williams or Paramore]


Can we pretend that Airplanes In the midnight sky
Are like shooting stars I could really use a wish right now (wish right now) (wish right now)

Yeah, I could use a dream or a genie or a wish To go back to a place much simpler than this
Cause after all the partyin’ and smashin’ and crashin’ and all the glitz and the glam and the fashion and all the pandemonium and all the madness

There comes a time where you fade to the blackness
When you’re staring at that phone in your lap and you hoping but them people never call you back
But that’s just how the story unfolds: you get another hand soon after you fold
And when your plans unravel, and they sayin’ what would YOU wish for if you had one chance

So airplane airplane sorry I’m late: I’m on my way so don’t close that gate
If I don’t make that then I’ll switch my flight and I’ll be right back at it by the end of the night


Somebody take me back to the days before this was a job, before I got paid
Before it ever mattered what I had in my bank yeah back when I was tryin’ to get a tip at [Harlows!]
So here I stand and then again I say I’m hopin’ we can make some wishes outta airplanes?

i could really use a wish right now
i could really use a wish right now (wish right now)
like shooting stars
i can really use a wish right now (a wish right now, a wish a wish, a wish right now)




The sound of planes still gets me every time. I live under the flight path these days in my little Bungalow, not too far from Boeing Field. The flights from Sea Tac start early, my morning mix tape sounds like this, yoga meditations on the front porch to the energetic movement:

10 years later.
It seems lately I've been doing a lot of introspection about the timeline of my life - 10 years ago I was 20. It all is relevant, we grow, change, experience new environments to live within and amongst new friends to create our present and future.

Right now I'm fascinated with timelines, perhaps because time keeps moving forward, and I'm oftentimes looking at the past trying to make sense of it all, and hoping for changes for the future, while maintaining the balance of life at present. This details the minute by minute of the events of 9-11 (copy-paste if you want to experience the jet sounds while reading on ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_for_the_day_of_the_September_11_attacks

Today marks the 10 year anniversary of 9-11. I was trying to remember my own timeline of that day, waking early to start my new semester at community college, back at the fam's house after returning from my first adventure in Seattle from Feb-Aug 2000, it was another big transition for my personal life, and just when I was attempting to have some forward movement and progression to a stable live-work-play, the world's catastrophes seemed to be overwhelming me.

I awoke today at about the same time that I did that day, slightly still in my dream states not quite up yet to face the world. My radio alarm of NPR was blaring the news of the first attack so I flipped on the TV to see what this was all about. My friend Jess called to confirm our carpool for our return to college life- back at Mesa Community College, we rode together to our morning yoga class, in shock of what the morning had held., curious about what was going to happen with the day. It was one of the most emotionless yoga classes I could remember, that I don't remember it at all. I do remember the feeling of walking guiltily around the campus, as though my heart went out to all the other people who have had their lives shortened, turned upside down and affected in proximity to crisis, and the ripples felt beyond. My soul felt the loss that others felt, it was a bizarre sadness I resonated with in compassion for the suffering of others.

Waiting, but yet continuing on with the normal, this is a timeline of some events that were shortened by catastrophe, and others which seemed to continue on as life seems to.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Closings_and_cancellations_following_the_September_11_attacks

on a lighter note: how bout a simulation flight ;)


Remembering:
I was at my younger brother's ball practice- it was an evening practice, the parents (and supportive sister) were sitting on folding chairs in the middle of suburban bliss: green grassed flood lightened playing fields, watching the routines of their mini's doing what seemed like the normal thing for age 7-11 to be doing. The practice of whistles blowing and young athletes being corralled into organized competition was stopped by a sound which was gone from our skies for a week.

Time seemed to stand still for some, waiting in anticipation, fear of the next, etc. We were all there. For me, the sound of the first plane to resume flying, became one of my most cherished sounds because of this pivotal moment. Everyone on the field stopped in their space. We all stood up from the chairs, raised our heads to the sky in awe that the same craft which knocked down buildings, and knocked down our personal safety walls, was roaring through the sky again, in a sort of victory that we will rise above once again. No surprise that I had returned to Phoenix, during a very pivotal time in not just my own life, but all those around me.

The past 2 summers here in Seattle, the SeaFair is marked by the Blue Angels flying throughout the city for about 3 days. My house rumbles and shakes under the sound of this beautiful meditation from angels above:



As I continue on, as we all continue on, there is a motivating force behind all of our actions. These events took place out of planned, premeditated anticipation. Right now, this song resonnates so strongly: continuing on, not letting anything stand in our way of making it happening.

I fly like paper, get high like planes.
Sometimes I feel sitting on trains
Every stop I get to I'm clocking that game
Everyone's a winner now we're making our fame
Bona fide hustler, making my name
Sticks and stones and weed and bones




Life is a Full circle.

No comments: